4 kzn family members electrocuted to death umvoti

Four members of a family in Umvoti in the KwaZulu-Natal midlands have burned to death while four others have been rushed to hospital in a critical condition after they were apparently electrocuted.

It is believed that they were trying to remove a lighting conductor in their yard on Sunday when it came into contact with a live electrical wire.

The mayor of the Umzinyathi Municipality, Petros Ngubane visited the family’s home shortly after the incident.

He says, “The Sibiya family of ward one Umvoti Municipality under Inkosi Ungubane at Njengabantu decided on removing a lighting conductor from the site and put it outside their premises.”

“Unfortunately the lightning conductor struck the electric cord which goes across the family property and they were all shocked by this electricity. Four of the family members died, who are males, and the four other survived but sustained the burns and are taken to the hospital. It’s so unfortunate,” He adds